Perform professional work designing, developing, maintaining, and providing training on specialized GIS data systems, procedures, applications, and data solutions to support and improve situational awareness and City business processes and efficiencies for management, supervisors, operations staff, and the public.
Essential Job Functions
- Design and build GIS data systems and applications based on City and business unit needs using best practices and developments of geospatial technology including desktop, thin client, mobile, location-aware, and web-based platforms and technologies.
- Administer and maintain GIS databases and software. Complete routine maintenance and processing to ensure system integrity. Prepare data, records, dependencies, permissions and procedures. Maintain data integrity and troubleshoot concerns.
- Develop, maintain, analyze, and support City geospatial data, ensuring data are accurate, reliable, and timely.
- Provide high quality spatial analysis, modelling, and data-driven solutions to problems including transportation planning, land use, utility service provision and auditing, demographics, and forecasting.
- Collect requirements and data from all pertinent sources to develop the requisite products.
- Provide technical support, information, and customer service to users and the public.
- Prepare reports, recommendations, and presentations related to the City GIS system and its use and applications for and across business units.
- Manage complex special projects or programs.
Ancillary Job Functions
- Respond to user requests for maps and information requiring cartography and special analysis.
- Provide guidance and training to others and give input to supervisor regarding other employees’ performance.
- Research new technologies, including mobile devices and maintain high industry knowledge.
- Respond to off-hours requests or data emergencies.
- Prepare and present reports to various groups.
- Establish and maintain files, reports, maps, and other records.
- Maintain technical and analytical skills to ensure data quality assurance and quality control.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- An equivalent combination of education, training and experience will be considered
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Geography, Urban Planning, or related field.
- Minimum of five years relevant experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities which may be representative, but not all-inclusive of those commonly associated with this position
- Thorough knowledge of the principles, best practices, and current trends in geospatial technologies, spatial databases, and cartography and visual communication,
- Thorough knowledge of City policy, business practices, pertinent data sources, and research methods.
- Ability to direct and perform high-level GIS analysis using multiple GIS software products including ArcGIS Desktop, ArcGIS Server, ArcSDE, Portal, and GeoEvent.
- Ability to research data sources, edit data, and assemble into datasets, create and utilize networks, datasets, matrices, and programs required for analysis, modelling, planning, and business needs.
- Ability to develop and maintain applications for data access and maintenance using technologies including ArcGIS Model builder, python, HTML5, and ArcGIS web App Builder.
- Skill in operating a personal computer and required software.
- Ability to prepare and present oral and written reports, presentations, and recommendations.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other City employees and the general public.
- Knowledge of ESRI suite of products.
- Knowledge of database architecture.
- Ability to determine ties across platforms.
- Ability to manage projects.
- Ability to multitask.
- Ability to coordinate contracts for services and to prepare and recommend long-range plans and policies.
- Work Environment – Environmental or atmospheric conditions commonly associated with the performance of the functions of this job
- General office conditions.
- Quiet noise levels.
Physical Abilities that are commonly associated with the performance of the functions of this job. The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions
- Must be able to sit for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to stand, walk, drive, and reach with hands/arms.
- Must be able to have repetitive wrist, hand and/or finger movement to type and work on computer.
- Must have clarity of vision, precise hand-eye coordination, and ability to identify and distinguish colors.
- Regular attendance is a necessary and essential function.